The Virginia Performing Arts Foundation:
- never did a proper study on the arts center it hopes to build.
- has completely botched private fund-raising
- had to return to the city asking for more time to raise money
- created a completely unrealistic budget
- lied about why it fired its most experienced employee
- didn’t quite get around to following state-mandated procedure for choosing contractors
- completely alienated the mayor in a stunning campaign of hubris that included hiding its financial condition from the mayor
- has spent millions on salaries for a hapless CEO and out-of-town architects who don’t bother filing paperwork with the city
And Brad Armstrong is stunned the mayor just dropped the big one on his project? Frankly, I’m stunned he’s still got a project to stop. As are, I imagine, most of the people in Richmond at this point.